Friday, September 7, 2007

Yard Sales and Reading

Last Saturday we went to several yard sales on purpose for the first time this year. The last time we went to a yard sale was "accidental" when we were on our way somewhere else. This time I called Mom and told her where the first yard sale was (at a local school). She called back in a few minutes and said they were getting ready to go. So Mom, Dad, Beth and I went "yard saleing" and had a wonderful time. I was out of the Boot but Beth is still using her braces and cane. She is going to have knee surgery later this month and is looking forward to it with great trepidation. We had fun, though. We loaded the back of Dad's Tahoe with lots of great finds. I got a whole box of old sheet music for only $1 and a book of mountain humor that Dad has borrowed so I have yet to read it. He took it the Boy Scout Camporee and United Methodist Men meeting this weekend. I hope it comes back home with him.
The picture is a small part of the music lot. It is all by John Storm, a local person who became a member of the state legislature (you can see one piece has him listed as Hon. John Storm). I have been trying to find more information about him but John Storm is a common name and I am still sifting through all the hits I get.

I also bought some beads and some necklaces that I will take apart and use the beads for various crafts such as the Christmas Spiders and dragonflies I have been making. Another sale/fundraiser for VBS is coming up soon and I want to have a good assortment of things to donate.

A favorite author of mine has died. Madeleine L'Engle, author of "A Wrinkle in Time" and other wonderful books died this week. I still re-read the books every few years even if they are for children. Fantasy with meaning, or as she says with something "underneath" is reading I enjoy. I may read fiction, but I want to learn something from it - just don't shout it at me. As an optimist, I want hopeful endings. I believe in good outlasting evil. I read Anne McCaffrey's dragonriders books and her other books as well. I also read Orson Scott Card and other science fiction authors. And I read the Harry Potter books. I enjoy reading and used to read a lot of books every week. Anymore I find I have slowed down in my reading and tend to drift off to sleep sooner than I used to when I read in bed. I even admit to falling asleep while reading in my chair in the living room. Thank goodness I don't do that when I am working with my beads for crafts.

I realized this morning that I have not taken a photograph in two days - today makes three. But tomorrow is Saturday and I will be out and about looking for the perfect shot again. Maybe more yard sales, too.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I was saddened when I read that Madeleine had passed. She and Luciano Pavarotti (one of the Three Tenors) both passed on within a week. The world lost two great souls that opened doors to wonderful worlds. Now, they go to better things.