Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Here, Kitty Kitty ...

This weekend we discovered that what I thought was a strange rabbit (I only saw something moving) was actually a feral cat living under our back porch ... in the same yard that my dogs frequent. I took a large flashlight to look underneath and see if I could block her (calico equals female) from going back under the porch and discovered ...
... she is not alone. She has at least two kittens (also calicos). I have not been able to get good pictures because of where she has chosen to bed down but you can see one kitten to the left with its eys shining in the flash, momma in the middle with her eyes closed, and a kitten to the right with its head turned away. I have only seen the two kittens and hope there are not more.
My dogs are ecstatic everytime they go outside. I make them let me go out first (not an easy thing) and I stamp on the porch floor to let momma know we are coming out. Then I stand back behind the door as I open it and the dog flood pours out with noses already to the ground and follow every step momma has taken on the porch and walk and yard. I try to get to the under-porch access before the dogs do but didn't make it once this weekend and Sassy got her nose boxed. She has a nice little slash down the center of the top of her nose. It bled quite a bit as she would not stop running and sniffing cat trails and I had to catch her to clean her up and put a little pressure on the wound. No trouble with it since and it does not seem to be sore.
Sassy has never been gentle with little things. And once the hunting instinct kicks in it is next to impossible to stop her from going after something. When we had a cat, Sassy could barely let it walk on the floor without knocking it around until it hit back. Myste, on the other hand, is friendly with most things. But I don't think these kittens would survive either dog very long and the kittens are now at an age where they want to explore. It is going to be interesting in the yard for a while until I can either catch the cats or they move on. Before I catch them I have to find something to put them in ...

1 comment:

Mary C said...

Here's hoping you can "trap" those kittys without the help of your dogs. ;-) Something tells me these cats are mostly nocturnal since your dogs are probably inside with you at night. And that would be their most opportune time to hunt for food.