Thursday, October 18, 2007

Sad news ...

we have lost little Callie and not to adoption. She was not acting quite right Tuesday evening and yesterday when I got home from work she was breathing heavily and crying. My regular vet was closing for the day and suggested I try the animal urgent care facility. By the time we got there Callie was almost unresponsive. The vet said she was a very sick kitten but not sure why at this point. It could have been sickness or injury. She had bitten me on the way to the office she was in so much pain. He said the kindest thing would be not to let her suffer. Tests might show what had made her so sick but would not help her get better. She was just too little to fight anything off.

So Callie is gone and now I am watching the other two and Momma very closely. Midnight Smoke and Maude are active and eating and drinking as is Momma cat. The weather here has warmed again and Momma cat is sleeping on the porch near the kittens' shelter. We had a beautiful sunrise the other morning but in spite of the red sky in the morning, there was very little rain.

3 comments:

Mary C said...

Oh, Martha - I am so sorry to hear about Callie. It reminds me of a time when my daughter dealt with kittens, and ended up losing at least two of them to illness. I'm so glad you have pix of her. That way you can remember her. I hope momma and siblings aren't too unhappy or upset about her passing.

Martha said...

Thank you, Mary. Even though I kept telling myself not to get attached because they just cannot stay, there is still loss and sadness. Callie was my favorite and she was a very active kitten until this happened. Momma and siblings seem to have adjusted well after the first day without Callie. Tonight when I was out taking photos they all three came and sat at my feet under the tripod.

It's you know who! said...

Aww, that's so sad. Those kitties are all so cute. Sorry for you to go through that. :(

You have some stunning pictures on here, I do enjoy visiting whenever I get the chance.